Sushi Kokuu Hen (Japanese: 寿司 虚空編) is an educational Japanese webcomic about googology, drawn by Doom Kobayashi (Japanese: 小林銅蟲). It has attracted considerable attention for its surreal atmosphere and "overwhelming incomprehensibility."
The comic began on September 11, 2013, and the first six episodes were published in the U-2 league of Shogakukan's Ura Sunday, which shut down at the end of 2014. It restarted on April 13, 2015, on Pixiv, where episode 7 was published with translations to English, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. Episode 7 of “Sushi Kokuu Hen” has the same content as episode 6 of another pixiv comic, “さいはて -Daydream Attractor-”.
It was published on August 10, 2017 by Sansai books in Japan.
The story begins with the explanation of Graham's number. The title of the comic is "Sushi", and the readers expected to read story about sushi, but the first story was unexpectedly all about math. As the story goes on, more advanced topics of googology, such as Fish numbers and chained arrow notation are presented.
- Oyakata (boss)
- Boss of Sushi bar.
- Sushi chef. His father disappeared when he was a child, and he lived with Oyakata since then.
- Uruka Boufura
- Ghost of a daughter of Oyakata. (The word "boufura" means a larva of a mosquito in Japanese.)
- Oyakata mentioned only once in the first story, and detail is not known.
- Creator of Fish numbers.
- They operate the Sushi bar while Oyakata and Mashimo are absent.
- Wrestler. His ring name is "Menka seihin Astral kimochi goran kudasai kamen" (Cotton-made Astral look at my heart mask)
- Jinkaku ichiro
- Tonikaku man (Anyway man)
- Well, anyway!
- Tonikaku lady (Anyway lady)
- Huh? anyway!
- Last Boss police
- Police. Special guest invited from another cartoon.
Googological concepts in each story
|1st||Graham's number, Arrow notation|
|2nd||Fish number 1|
|3rd||Fish number 1, S map, SS map|
|4th||Googology, Tetration, Hyper operator, Ackermann function, Fast-growing hierarchy, Tritri|
|5th||Chained arrow notation, Graham's number, Conway's Tetratri|
|6th||Fast growing hierarchy|
|7th||Ackermann function, Fast-growing hierarchy|
|9th||Fish number 2, Taro's multivariable Ackermann function|